NEWSLETTER UPDATE FRIDAY, JULY 15, 2022
COMMUNITY AND WARD NEWS
- Metcalfe Night Market
- Meet Me on Main in the village of Marionville
- RBC Metcalfe Rally
- Osgoode Township Fish, Game and Conservation Club's Annual Kids Fishing Day 2022
- Mayor Watson Visits Fortran Steel
- Indoor Roller Skating Larry Robinson Arena
- It's Take A Kid To The Golf Course Week
- NROCRC Tools For School
- Shroomfest Inc Music in the Park
- Play Music on the Front Porch Day
- Metcalfe St. Andrews United Church Annual Fish Fry Fundraiser
- Free wood chips available at six City locations
- Ottawa Ash Tree Replacement Program Update
- Summer Reading Club is back at the Ottawa Public Library
- What to do in Ottawa
- We are looking for Municipal Investigators
WARD 20 CONSTRUCTION LIST
- Government of Canada to announce an agreement ensuring proper pandemic influenza protection for the Canadian population
- Festivals are back across the country
- Ontarians Aged 18+ Eligible for Second Booster Shot
COMMUNITY AND WARD NEWS
Metcalfe Night Market
Another successful nighttime Metcalfe Farmers' Market took place this week with a great attendance by not only locals but people from different parts of Ottawa. Such a variety of new vendors not all seen at the regular Saturday market and wow, I was quite impressed. If you missed this local night market experience, there will be another one Wednesday, August 17th from 5-8pm.
Meet Me on Main in the village of Marionville
Celebrating the community was the theme of Meet Me on Main in the village of Marionville during a local event to bring people together once again after a two-year absence. This is a village where 3 municipalities represent the local residents. I was happy to attend representing the City of Ottawa through Osgoode Ward and to say a few words to the hundreds that gathered for some great food, activities and entertainment. Nice to see Fire Sector Chief Joseph McLaughlin and City of Ottawa Station 91 -Metcalfe Fire fighters out with the ladder truck as well, Russell Fire Department was putting on a grease fire display while educating people on fire safety and prevention. Loved seeing my fellow politicians from the township of Russell and North Dundas represented by Mayor Pierre Leroux and Mayor Tony Fraser.
RBC Metcalfe Rally
I proudly supported my community this week as the campaign to “Help Save the Metcalfe Royal Bank” location from closing formed a rally in Victoria Park. A well done effort by the organizing group led by Metcalfe resident Patti Anne Scrivens and the Metcalfe Community Association. Patti Anne and her team hand delivered, to the manager, over 750 signed letters by bank clients that are not in favour of the closing. This is a rural bank that a village depends on and had their voices heard.
Osgoode Township Fish, Game and Conservation Club's Annual Kids Fishing Day 2022
Lots of great fishermen of all ages turned up for the Annual Kids Fishing Derby by the Osgoode Township Fish, Game and Conservation Club. Once again, the first 100 kids were provided with a free fishing rod, net, worms and tackle box. They had 96 kids that came by for a recreational fishing during part of the Ontario Family Fishing Week event. A free hot dog bbq was also part of the event. I am always happy to partner with the club along with South Nation Conservation to provide the equipment. Thanks also to all the volunteers that made this such a successful event once again and to all the parents/guardians that brought the kids out for a great experience.
Mayor Watson Visits Fortran Steel
Thanks once again to Fortran Steel CEO, Domenic Donato for the quick tour of the shop with Mayor Watson this time, to show us the progress with the LRT pedestrian walkway as well as introducing us to the engineering team and welders.
Indoor Roller Skating Larry Robinson Arena
It's Take A Kid To The Golf Course Week
NROCRC Tools For School
Shroomfest Inc Music in the Park
- Shroomfest Inc. & the Metcalfe Community Association are weekly “Live Music in the Park” every Thursday evening from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm (Weather permitting) in Victoria Park across from the Royal Bank, Victoria Street, Metcalfe, Ontario. Weather and attendance permitting in front of the Gazebo.
- Bring your lawn chairs and mosquito repellant and enjoy some tunes.
Free Wood Chips Available at Six City Locations
After the storm we experienced a few weeks ago, there was an abundance of wood debris that was made into wood chips that is being offered to the public. In the link there is a list of city yard locations available for residents to pick up wood chips. I was able to secure an extra location at the Scrivens Yard on Scrivens Drive in Metcalfe.
Ottawa Ash Tree Replacement Program Update
- Funding available to replace ash trees on private property Ash Tree Replacement Program delivered by Conservation Authority Partners
- Please note that program funding is still available for 2022 and will be accepted until the end of the year on a first come first served basis.
Summer Reading Club is back at the Ottawa Public Library
- Summer Reading is back in full force at the OPL this summer. It’s easy to join the club, visit your local branch for your reading log and stickers, then get reading!
- Visit the Osgoode Village Park every Monday in July at 10:30am and the Greely Community Centre Park every Wednesday in July at 10:30am for Storytime in the Park.
- So much to explore, visit OPL/BPO for more information.
What to do in Ottawa
Rural Client Service Centres
- The City of Ottawa is pleased to announce that all three rural Client Service Centre locations are open.
- Our three rural locations will each be open for one day a week, from 8:30am to 4pm.
- Service will be provided at the respective locations on the following days:
- Tuesdays at the Metcalfe Client Service Centre, 8243 Victoria Street
- Wednesdays at the West Carleton Client Service Centre, 5670 Carp Road
- Thursdays at the North Gower Client Service Centre, 2155 Roger Stevens Drive
- We strongly recommend that clients schedule an appointment on www.ottawa.ca/csc Walk-ins will be accepted but priority will be given to scheduled appointments.
Recreation and Parks
- Now that summer is here, the farmers' markets are open across Ottawa.
- Please visit their web pages to confirm their hours of operation:
Discover Ottawa’s Rural Communities
- Make sure you obtain a Open air fire permit | City of Ottawa before you start any open air fires including a backyard fire or using a large fire pit.
- Prior to setting an open-air fire, you must first contact Ottawa Fire Services at 613-580-2880 to ensure that a fire ban is not in effect
We are looking for Municipal Investigators
- We are looking for experienced individuals to investigate injury or death to livestock and/or poultry caused by wildlife as set out in section 7(6) of the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) Act.
- Information on the Wildlife Compensation Program and Municipal Investigators can be found at Municipality and Investigator Information and Resources (gov.on.ca)
- Applications including a summary of your experience, an introduction of yourself and contact information, or any questions you may have can be sent to RuralAffairs@ottawa.ca
WARD 20 CONSTRUCTION LIST
- Gregoire Road from Victoria Street to Marvelville Road, there will be intermittent lane reductions on Monday, June 27 until late August
- Multi-Use Pathway Link from Old Prescott Rd to Remmington Way: construction duration would be approximately 3-4 weeks.
- Pathway Link from Cosgrove Av to Parkway Rd: construction duration would be approximately 1-2 weeks.
- CANCELLED Mitch Owens Road from Bank Street to Ramsayville Rd, detour in place, July 8th at 7pm to July 11th at 5am
- Springhill Rd culvert replacement and a detour from Dalmac Rd to Blanchfield Rd, work will begin Monday, 18 July 2022 to Monday, 25 July 2022
- Squire Road Twin Culvert construction to commence in early July 2022
- Yorks Corners Road Culvert construction to commence in early July 2022
- William Lindsay Grove from Mitch Owens Road to Hillcrest Road, culvert replacement road closure from Monday, 4 July 2022 to Monday, 8 July 2022.
- Bruce Street culvert at 8th Line Road Starting in July
- Sale Barn Road culvert 0.41 km north of Parkway Rd starting in July
- Mitch Owens Road from Bank Street to Sale Barn Road starting Friday, 22 July 2022 at 7:00pm until Sunday, 24 July 2022 at 5:00am.
- Piperville Road from Farmers Way to Anderson Road, culvert replacement, the road will be closed from Monday, 8 August 2022 to Friday, 19 August 2022.
Government of Canada to announce an agreement ensuring proper pandemic influenza protection for the Canadian population
Festivals are back across the country
Ontarians Aged 18+ Eligible for Second Booster Shot